Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi on Monday hinted that his country may not oppose a joint move by France, Britain and the US in the UN Security Council to list Jaish-e-Mohammed terror group’s chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist.
“Time has come for Pakistan to decide in its own interests. We will do what’s in Pakistan’s interests,” Qureshi told Geo TV in an interview.
Last week, the US, the UK and France moved a fresh proposal in the UN Security Council to designate Azhar as a global terrorist, a listing that will subject him to global travel ban, asset freeze and arms embargo.
The Security Council Sanctions Committee has 10 working days to consider the fresh proposal submitted by the three members. It is the fourth such bid at the UN in the last 10 years to list Azhar as a global terrorist.
When asked whether Pakistan will request its close ally China to veto the resolution once again in the UNSC, Qureshi said his government will try to build a consensus among all parties and do what’s in Pakistan’s interests.
“We have some global commitments…We will have to take action which doesn’t harm our global reputation,” he said, without elaborating.
When asked about the dossier on JeM handed over by India, Qureshi said, “We are examining it and we will respond accordingly.” According to a top government source here, Pakistan has decided to launch a crackdown on terror outfits, including JeM and its chief Azhar, in order to de-escalate the tensions with India and the action is “expected any time soon”.