England cricket player Ben Stokes has been found not guilty for his role in a street fight.
Stokes was on trial for knocking out two men in the southwest English city of Bristol last September. During the hearing, the England all-rounder said he was acting in self-defense.
As the verdicts were delivered at Bristol Crown Court on Tuesday, Stokes closed his eyes and then looked up.
England’s match-winner in the first Test against India in Birmingham, Stokes has been left out of England’s unchanged 13-man squad for the third Test against India that starts on Saturday.
The England and Wales Cricket Board however said it “will make an assessment of Ben Stokes’ availability after the trial in Bristol has concluded.”
Stokes was the most expensive overseas recruit in the annual player auction for the Indian Premier League this year. The Rajasthan Royals paid $1.95 million for Stokes to play in the six-week Twenty20 competition.
The criminal case led to Stokes missing some of England’s biggest matches, including the Ashes tour of Australia and the second test against India last week.
(The Quint is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to TheQuint.com/WhatsApp and hit the Subscribe button.)